Egypt

Event_Image

Overview about Egypt:

Egypt was one of the world’s first civilizations, and one of its most enduring. To this day, the Pyramids of Giza stand as a testament to the greatness of ancient Egyptian civilization. But there is more to Egypt than just the pyramids. Deep in the desert you can find the monastery of Saint Anthony, the oldest continuously operating monastery in world, built in year 356 AD. Egypt is the most populous country in the Middle East, with a population of about 80 million people. About 90% of Egyptians are Sunni Muslim. The remaining 10% are mostly Coptic Orthodox Christians.

Egypt has a hot and arid climate everywhere except on the Mediterranean coast in the north. The southernmost cities of Egypt tend to be hotter because they are further into the desert. Climate information for Egypt’s capital, Cairo, can be found here.

Orthodoxy:

The Coptic Church had its founding in the apostolic teachings of St Mark the Evangelist. Since his time, Christianity has grown considerably in Egypt. The Coptic Church constitutes the largest religious minority in the Middle East and North Africa. The church maintains a Trinitarian doctrine and is part of a larger group of churches called the Oriental Orthodox Churches. Christianity in Egypt has expressed itself through a rich monastic history. Several ancient churches and monasteries are scattered throughout the Egyptian desert where monks found solitude and separation from the world around them. To this day, monks carry on this monastic tradition in monasteries that have been operational for over 1500 years.

Coptic Mission in Egypt:

The first CMANA mission trip was to Egypt in November 2010. It was done through collaboration with multiple organizations across the world. It included 20 physicians from different specialties. The team did visit three main sites including Upper Egypt, Cairo, and Alexandria. It was a very fruitful trip and was hoped to be followed my many trips. However due to the revolution of 2011 a hold was placed on trips to Egypt until December 2012 where a small mission group from CMANA was sent to Egypt primarily to Cairo and Alexandria. It was a successful trip by all means.

Exchange Rates:

Current exchange rates can be found here.

Visa:

Visas can be obtained either in the embassies and consulates outside of Egypt, or in Cairo International Airport. Typically, visas are more expensive when purchased in the airport. If you are an Egyptian citizen but are traveling with a non-Egyptian passport, present your Egyptian ID Card at the airport to have the visa fee waived. Full visa information can be found here.

Health Advisory:

The CDC advises that travelers to Egypt are up to date on vaccinations such as Hepatitis A and Typhoid. A full list of CDC recommendations can be found here. Tap water in Egypt is not suitable for consumption.

Cultural Customs:

The culture outside of the main cities of Cairo and Alexandria can be very conservative. In particular, the societal norms about male and female interactions are different from those in the west. For example, in parts of rural Egypt, it is improper for a man and a woman to touch unless they are married or related.

Medical and Social Concerns:

It is estimated that approximately 25% of Egyptian children under the age of five are chronically malnourished. The leading cause of death in Egypt is cardiovascular diseases. Egypt also has the highest incidence of Hepatitis C in the world.

November 2016 Mission Trip Registration:

The registration for Egypt’s mission trip for 2016 has reached its full capacity. If you wish to join us in any of our mission trips, please visit the missions page so you know the dates of the 2017 mission trips.